How to Enter
Wait! Is your writing ready to enter yet?
The judges will determine the winners based on the following criteria:
- empathy with subject
- creative interpretation of theme, on the edge
- innovation and control of language
- authentic and original author’s tone
- an awareness of audience (appeals to the reader in some way)
- care with editing and revision
Students… you need a teacher to endorse your online submission.
Teachers… you can submit entries directly (see below)
It is FREE to enter. Entries close Monday, September 24, 2018 (by 5pm). Please note: we have extended the entry date up until Friday 28 September.
All entries :
- To be valid, entries must be received by Friday 28th September (by 5pm)
- Must be an original POEM or STORY and be no more than 500 words
- The theme ‘on the edge’ should be a focus of the story or poem in some way, however, the theme does not need to be overdone. Imagination, lateral thinking and creativity are encouraged!
- No more than 3 entries per student
- If sent by mail, must be in a clear TYPED font in Arial or Times New Roman size 10-14 font (must not be handwritten, NO images or colour to be included)
To ENTER ONLINE
All online submissions must be entered by a TEACHER. It is strongly advised that teachers seek parent permission first.
Enter each student separately.
No more than 3 entries each.
To ENTER BY MAIL
Teachers may submit entries for their class by mail, especially if there are many submissions (too many to enter individually online). However, all entries must be typed and fit guidelines outlined above.
On the back of EACH ENTRY please include the following details :
- Student Name
- Contact Teacher Name
- Contact Teacher Email
- School phone contact
Students may also enter independently by mail, but must have endorsement of parent. The above details must be written on the back of EACH ENTRY (give parent details in place of school contact).
Pens Against Poverty writing competition
GPO Box 360 Canberra, ACT 2601
ARE YOU A TEACHER? Only Teachers may enter student submissions online. Please enter each student separately. Please include your students’ full name, grade level, your [teacher] email and school phone contact