How to Enter
Wait! Is your writing ready to enter yet?
The judges will determine the winners based on the following criteria:
- empathy with subject
- creative interpretation of theme, Courage in Kindness
- innovation and control of language
- authentic and original author’s tone
- an awareness of audience (appeals to the reader in some way)
- care with editing and revision
Students… you need a teacher or parent to endorse your online submission.
Teachers or parents… you can submit entries directly (see below)
It is FREE to enter. Entries close Friday, 6 September, 2019 (by 5pm).
All entries :
- To be valid, entries must be received by Friday 6th September (by 5pm)
- Must be an original POEM or STORY and be no more than 500 words
- The theme ‘Courage in Kindness’ should be a focus of the story or poem in some way, however, the theme does not need to be overdone. Imagination, lateral thinking and creativity are encouraged!
- No more than 3 entries per student
- If sent by mail, must be in a clear TYPED font in Arial or Times New Roman size 10-14 font (must not be handwritten, NO images or colour to be included)
To ENTER ONLINE
All online submissions must be entered by a teacher or adult. It is strongly advised that teachers seek parent permission first.
Enter each student separately.
No more than 3 entries each.
To ENTER BY MAIL
Teachers or parents may submit entries for their class by mail, especially if there are many submissions (too many to enter individually online). However, all entries must be typed and fit guidelines outlined above.
On the back of EACH ENTRY please include the following details :
- Student Name
- Contact Name
- Contact Email
- Phone contact
Students may also enter independently by mail, but must have endorsement of a parent. The above details must be written on the back of EACH ENTRY.
Pens Against Poverty writing competition
GPO Box 360 Canberra, ACT 2601
Please enter each student separately. Please include the students’ full name, grade level, your [teacher or parent] email and phone contact.